Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Posted 03-15-2024 17:58

Hello,

I'm building a rolling sports ticker using datalinq. Currently my child scenes roll as "League" "Team 1" "Team 1 score" "Team 2" "Team 2 score" and "Game Status". 

The issue is that everything rolls. I'm trying to figure out how to get "League" to stay static until the actual data changes i.e. run NBA scores, then switch to NHL scores, etc. 

Is there a way I can put a text field into my parent scene that would reference the child scene's "League" data and stick on that until it changes? Is there a better way to make this happen? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Alex Bowes

• 2.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Ross Staff
    Posted 03-19-2024 05:37

I can think of a couple of ways but they require scripting. I don't think it's possible without it if you want it to do it automatically. 

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Posted 03-19-2024 10:42

Unfortunately scripting isn't one of my strong points. If you have any suggestions on where to start with it I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I've got some reading and self training to do!

Alex Bowes

• 4.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Ross Staff
    Posted 03-19-2024 13:07

I think we have some webinars out there on scripting. 

I am also sure I have done this in the past so I am looking through some old projects to find it. 

Simon Redmile
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Posted 03-21-2024 11:24

After watching videos and some trial and error I got it working, but now have a new issue. 

Now I'm running into my roll drifting up and down. All the child scenes are duplicates of each other with only the datalinq properties changing. I can't see anything changing on the y-axis. Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Alex Bowes

• 6.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Ross Staff
    Posted 03-22-2024 05:53

you'll need to explain this better sorry.

Simon Redmile
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 7.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Posted 03-22-2024 09:29

The roll is built via a Scene Group using Event Markers to pause the roll on each child scene. Every child scene is a duplicate of the first one I built. The only thing that changes is the Datalinq information. Everything works fine except that the text seems to be drifting, up or down a pixel or two, on the y-position randomly at its pause position. I can't find any changes between the child scenes that would be creating this anomaly and, again, it seems random.

Alex Bowes

• 8.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Posted 03-26-2024 02:11

Just a thought: if you look at the actual text content, any chance you have upper-lower case characters and some words have descenders but others don't?  i.e. Chicago, Los Angeles have descenders but Miami and Boston don't ? See if they are consistent in their positioning error?  If you type everything in upper-case does it still happen?  Reminds me of the situation in this other post.  Not quite sure what the solution would be, maybe try a bit of breathing room between the bottom of the text bounding box and the event marker so it doesn't get pushed down occasionally?

Paul

• 9.  RE: Referencing child scene data in parent scene roll

Posted 03-26-2024 16:48

Thought that might be it. I did go through and check the actual text content and found there were ascenders and descenders. I was able to manipulate the datalinq information to be all upper-case, but the issue was still there. I looked through the linked article and started to check the bounding box height for each piece of text. I did find that my bounding boxes were all over the place. Turns out I was accidentally using 3 different, but very similar, font materials. After I fixed that and made sure everything had the same size bounding box height and the same font material, but I am still having the issue. 

Alex Bowes