Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-08-2024 15:29

I found an old thread talking about trying to do something like this but have had some snags. In Dashboard I have text entry fields that are connected to preview only text fields in Xpression. I then have scripting on those for OnSetText that should be applying the text to a DatalinqKey. This is the script I have written

dim first as xpDatalinqKey

Scene.GetDatalinqKey(first)

first.GetKeyByName("#1", first)

first.AsString = text

Scene.RefreshDatalinqs

However, it's not applying the text to the Key. Any idea what I might be doing wrong or what I could try differently? I am working with an older versionso I cannot just use @TextObject@ otherwise this would be a lot easier.

------------------------------
    Avery Cook
    Freelancer
    Omaha United States

• 2.  RE: Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-09-2024 08:35

I'm not at a computer right now but my guess is text needs to he in quotes as it's a string.

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-09-2024 11:40

Just tried that and it did not seem to work. Here is a screenshot of what I have currently, the green text is being driven from a text entry field in Dashboard and is working. Then that has scripting for OnSetText (trying) to apply that text to DataKey "#1" to use as the search function in a .txt to pull a name. The name's are not changing with the numbers changing which makes me think that the input text is not getting applied to the Key.

Scripting on preview only text that is driven from Dashboard. Then the name field that tries to use the Datakey to pull from a .txt

Avery Cook
    Freelancer
    Omaha United States

• 4.  RE: Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-10-2024 06:54

Do you need to use a datalinq key?

You could use a text @macro@ instead?

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-10-2024 11:54

I'm building on v11.5 for v6.?, when we first moved the package over we had to change the way we had things datalinq'd which used a lot of @macro@. We ended up just switching most stuff over to DataKeys so I am under the impression the version being ran there does not support that style of macro? It could be that something else didn't work and Keys were just the quicker fix in the moment. Haven't had the chance to be hands on with that system/version to test the @macro@ out for a few days so I am trying to work this out based solely on knowing for sure Keys are working.

Avery Cook
    Freelancer
    Omaha United States

• 6.  RE: Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-12-2024 14:57

There are 500+ changes to Datalinq between versions 6.5 and 11.5. 

It's basically impossible to speculate on why it wouldn't work. 

• 7.  RE: Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-12-2024 14:57

Do you have a red or blue XPression USB license dongle? 

• 8.  RE: Dashboard input fed into a DatalinqKey

Posted 03-14-2024 12:10

I am not sure on the dongle, these are for some places I freelance for and have been working on their baseball and softball packages. As for what is not working / I am trying to figure out is solely on 11.5 right now. I should have clarified, but these packages are being used separate places with a v6.5 at one and v11.5 at the other. I am trying to focus on making it work for the v6.5 so then anything worked on can be shared back and forth. I know the @macro@ does not work on v6.5. So, I thought it might work as a script (somehow) taking the datalinq'd dashboard text object and OnSetText grabbing a DataKey and essentially copying and pasting the text to it. The script I have posted above is what I thought might accomplish this but I can't seem to get it to work even on v11.5. It would also be nice to only have to apply a quick script to a new text object rather than also having to change all my already built %macros% to @macros@. 

Avery Cook
    Freelancer
    Omaha United States