Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  Error in updating data for ADODB connection

Posted 01-09-2024 18:35

I have a fancy ticker scene (not a true ticker crawl, just using a take group with back-to-back logic) that advances through a league's draft order based on an excel sheet, and updates to reflect picks and trades in real-time. I have the workbook setup as an .XLS with legacy workbook sharing turned on. My datalinq server is set to Excel (mixed numeric/text data) and refreshes every 1 second.

Everything worked fine for a few days. I could run my ticker with the excel sheet open and make selections/trades that would immediately be reflected in the XPression scene upon saving the workbook. Then, a few days into testing, the ticker started blanking out momentarily, like it lost data, before returning the data with some playout glitches about 5 seconds later. When I checked the Datalinq Server's log window I get this set of errors. The "Error in updating" one repeats about 20 times a second for about 5 seconds, until the server seems to catch up and restore the data to the scene.

09-01-24 18:06:52.411: [ Info      ] ADODB DataLinq Source (NWSL Draft 2024) Exception opening ADO Client: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file ''.  It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data
    09-01-24 18:06:52.489: [ Info      ] ADODB DataLinq Source (NWSL Draft 2024) Error in updating data for ADODB connection, Table: DraftData$
    09-01-24 18:06:52.537: [ Info      ] ADODB DataLinq Source (NWSL Draft 2024) Error in updating data for ADODB connection, Table: DraftData$

I've attempted to rebuild the workbook and play with some of the Datalinq server settings, but nothing seems to stop the error from happening.

Any idea how I can fix this? TIA

------------------------------
    Joshua Coats
    Newsroom Artist Supervisor
    Scripps News
    Atlanta United States

• 2.  RE: Error in updating data for ADODB connection

Posted 01-09-2024 18:38

Apologies, I'm running version 11.0 for both XPression and the Datalinq Server.

Joshua Coats
    Scripps News
    Atlanta United States

• 3.  RE: Error in updating data for ADODB connection

Posted 01-10-2024 15:27

Can you show us a picture of your connection string in the ADODB Datalinq setup? 

• 4.  RE: Error in updating data for ADODB connection

Posted 01-11-2024 11:50

@Garner Millward Here you go.

By the way, I've found a workaround of sorts that is meeting our on-screen stability need for now by using fixed tables that asynchronously refresh and cache data. We had to re-jig our scenes' datalinq setup a bit, and it's much less flexible (e.g. using macros within queries to grab different tables based on user input), but we're no longer getting glitches in the data feed. Ultimately, I'd still like to solve this for the future, if possible. Here's an example of the fixed table setup...

Joshua Coats
    Scripps News
    Atlanta United States